Last week, I got a postcard in the mail from a candidate for county commissioner. Sized at 6x8, this postcard was plenty big enough to stand out and to inform me about the candidate, whom I'm not at all familiar with.

But, the postcard failed to deliver. It failed miserably.

Why? Because instead of using the direct mail piece to educate, this candidate asked for help. The front side of the postcard was devoted to the mailing address, the back listed two bullet points about his campaign. And, attached was a postcard that blew my mind:

Besides the plea for support, the only two bullet points the candidate offered vaguely referenced a committment to providing basic services (what IS a basic service) for every county resident and a committment to seeing the county grow.

Duh.

I've taken the long road to demonstrate a common mistake companies (and politicians) make with direct mail campaigns: a failure to understand and connect with their audience.

In this case, I belive this candidate would have been better served using the entire postcard to explain his campaign platform and save his support messages for those who already knew him.

Just my two cents.

I'm off to go RSVP for my billboard.

0 comments