pow·er/ˈpouər/

Noun:
The ability to do something or act in a particular way, esp. as a faculty or quality.
Verb:
Supply (a device) with mechanical or electrical energy.
Synonyms:
noun.  might - force - strength - potency - authority - energy
verb.  actuate - operate

Huey Lewis started it in 1985 with "The Power of Love". Then Celine Dion did her take on a song with the same title in 1993.

"The Power of..." is a key phrase that pops up in nearly every commercial break. From "That's the Power of the Home Depot" to "That's the power of Pine-Sol, baby" and now Volkswagen's "The Power of German Engineering", I'm left wondering if there are any new ideas or if the advertising industry is following in the footsteps of the movie industry in remaking everything.

I actually kinda understand the movie industry remakes. The movies they are re-doing hit right in the sweet spot of my generation (Hello, Dirty Dancing!) and I understand the draw to the word "power". It's, ahem, powerful. Palpable, even.

But I think it's overused and it doesn't show off the creative juices that I know run rampant in our industry.

As I started writing this blog post, I slapped myself: my own tagline is The Power of Pie.

Sigh.

File this under "Do as I say, not as I do" and then join me in brainstorming new taglines!

0 comments